After following those extensive instructions to migrate sharepoint from SBS 2003 to SBS 2010. The sharepoint did appear to work for a few hours. Then I began getting the above error message accessing the site, even the Sharepoint Central Administration site.
The only errors in event log was the following about every two minutes:
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 10/23/2011 9:34:11 AM
Event ID: 7024
Task Category: None
The SharePoint 2010 Timer service terminated with service-specific error %%-2147467259.
Researched and found mention of a DCOM error, which I found happened previously. I found this article that fixed the DCOM error..only I didnt have to make permission change to registry key…administrator already owner. In DCOMCNFG, under IIS WAMREG app, changed Launch and Activation Permissions for the sp_farm user that the Timer service uses to login. It had Local Launch permission but not Local Activation. Checked Local Activation.
Didn’t seem to help after restarting services. Made spfarm local admin and this seemed to help for awhile…only next day back to same issue and nothing seemed to fix it.
Got Microsoft on the horn and after an hour or so of tinkering (albeit, very carefully) we seemed to make head way when we removed some extra security groups that were added to the sharepoint users spfarm, spwebapp and spsearch. Previously during the migration process where we moved the users to the SBS Console by adding “Created” to a parameter of the user object in ADSIEDIT only in the migration we used Microsoft’s utility where we selected all the users (unfortunately, including the sharepoint users) and had them in SBS Console. We added a user role to all the users which I surmise added the group membership.
After removing the extra security groups and restarting the services and running iisreset, it has stayed up for the last 2 days.
Using Microsoft’s migrating from SBS2003 to SBS 2010 document, I migrated those users after migrating Sharepoint which would explain why it initally worked.